Mystery surrounds the dozens of Maori food pits and fortification trenches dug on a Paparoa hill top well before Captain Cook first circumnavigated New Zealand in 1769. Who inhabited this particular pa site remains a mystery.
In 1989, the Pow and Roach families formally protected the area with QEII National Trust covenants.
The site of the pa, now shrouded by native bush, is well preserved and easily accessible.
The Paparoa Lions Club have developed an easy walk through the bush and pa site remains.
The walk first crosses private land. Please stay on the track and do not disturb farm animals that may be grazing in the area.
Good footwear recommended. The track can be slippery if wet.
The walkway entrance is located on SH12 just south of Paparoa township, in Kaipara, Northland.